The 1947 Dirigible Crash near Roswell
From 1931 on, the United States Navy conducted test flights of dirigibles and blimps, contracted with the Goodyear Company.
World War II brought a recovery in the early 1940’s when the Litchfield Naval Air Facility and the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation employed as many as 7,500 people at one time. Dirigibles or “blimps” were built at the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation.
In the summer of 1947, the Navy was testing newly configured dirigibles, using the Army Air Force Holloman Base in New Mexico, then known as the Alamogordo Air Field:
Built by Goodyear Aircraft Corporation.
M-1 to M-4
M-1 Length 310 ft. Helium capacity 625,000 cu ft.
Powered by two 550 hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp engines. Cruising speed 60 mph.
M-2 - M-4 Length 310 ft. Helium capacity 647,000 cu.ft.
Powered by two 600 hp Pratt & Whitney engines.
Lift of 10,000 lbs.
Dirigibles were flown from Alamogordo to various air bases in New Mexico and Texas.
In July 1947 a flight from Alamogordo to the Roswell Auxiliary Army Air Field No. 2 was struck by lightning and crashed in an area East of Arabella.
What details we have been able to muster can be found at our password-protected UFO site, open to bona fide UFO researchers and investigators.