UFO Conjecture(s)

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Higgs Boson (The so-called “God’s particle”) and Ufology’s Atheists

higgs25.jpg

I’m rather surprised at how many of the visitors to this blog, some of whom are my UFO friends, profess to be atheists.

I shan’t name them, but you know who most of them are. They are not “in-the-closet” atheists by any means.

At the same time, many physicists and scientists, generally, say they are atheists also. But their actions belie such a declaration.

At a subliminal level, science, especially physicists, are believers in a supreme deity and all their mathematical machinations and theories are a search for that deity.

Watch a group of NASA scientists when a space probe or experiment is successful. They clap and get giddy, much like fundamentalist Christians at a church rally when someone is cured by an evangelist.

nasa25.jpg

But that superficial observation is bolstered by what science, physicists mostly, spend their lives looking for – the meaning of life – the physical laws of nature – one clue to is the Higgs boson, that elusive particle that is as evanescent as the God of believers but still pursued as diligently as believers and theologians pursue proof of their God.

The money and time spent in the search or Higgs’ particle – at the Fermi lab in Chicago and the newer Hadron Collider in Europe – is nothing more than the pursuit of a footprint of God.

fermi25.jpg

The whole structure of quantum physics and classical physics, since Aristotle through Newton up to today’s theoretical physicists’ obsession with the fundamental laws of nature – God’s principles – is based on a proof for God, no matter how that search is described.

Yet, why do my ufological friends insist that they, too, are atheists? I think it has to do with a desire to mimic science. That science is in a state of denial about its belief in God doesn’t register with the UFO group that professes not to believe. They haven’t thought it through nor have they understood the charade that science, and physicists have foisted on themselves and the public too.

That there is an intelligence at work in the Universe is palpable, even if that intelligence is marred by a psychotic-like behavior.

god25.jpg

The UFO clique that insists there is no such intelligence – no God (a term I’m using as a rubric for discussion) – strikes me as incomprehensibly shallow.

I accept that science, physicists mostly, are profoundly shallow – else why do they insist that mathematics portray reality better than any other form of communication – a matter to deal with, again, upcoming – and science is so focused on its subliminal, disguised obsession that it has devolved into a cult of believing non-believers who can’t be trusted to come up with an outlay of truth.

That the denial of a God by physicists is pathological is a given in these quarters. That ufologists say they are atheists is a ploy to appear scientific and foolish, intellectually.

But that’s, as Gilles Fernandez, the French psychologist says, ufology.

RR

19 Comments:

  • Perhaps the distinction lies in whether you believe in an underlying order to the apparent chaos of the universe (something so fantastically simple and yet complex as to appear almost sentient to our nascent minds) or if you are thinking of some anthropomorphic deity floating on a cloud somewhere looking like a relic of a failed 60's cult. Neither is better than the other, but the former doesn't seem to need a deity. They simply seem to be chasing THE quintessential law or element to the universe that serves somehow as its keel. And perhaps if it is so fantastically complex as to appear sentient to us, can we any longer make that distinction. It's like saying 'technically the bullet didn't kill you'; either way you're dead.

    By Blogger Cullan Hudson, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • I think we are in an epoch were our concept of a monotheistic God as a biocentric principle will be redefined as God is incommensurable by our own definitions yet we go on and on confusing similarities to a incommensurable postulate where the monarchical meets the fractal, yet we are ourselves incommensurable to ourselves, so we have like and similar to as referents. The trap of language. The uncertainty principle of accidents, chaos etc may prove to be a place holder yet, and so like coincidences, synchronicity, anomalies I think are simply terms for the transcendent nature of a nature we cannot understand fully. Yet to say that there is no enigma in any of this including ourselves seems to be an act of denial that becomes a pathology. To seek order in what is termed disorder by those in denial seems more than a little ironic.

    By Blogger Bruce Duensing, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Cullan:

    I hope not to get us immersed in a conversation about God or no God.

    The Universe is truly bizarre and chaotic, which could suggest that nothing or no one is in charge or created it, or.....it is under the direction of a sentient but psychotic intelligence that, for the purposes of conversational simplicity, we might call God.

    Physicists' theology is mathematics, and God, for them, is couched in terms such as the fundamental laws of nature.

    For me, there was an entity or intelligent cause that has, as Nietzsche metaphorically intuited, died.

    (Let's not go into my convoluted and oblique belief system.)

    Physicists look for the basic underlying principle of reality,

    I think one can call that God or the basic underlying principle of reality.

    Either way, the thing is the thing, a deity or principle, whatever.

    My point was that ufologists who say they are atheists are playing at being scientists or physicists, insofar as they don't present a cogent case for their atheism.

    They just disbelieve to appear scientific.

    It's a subset of the term ufology, a term addended to ufology to make it seem that ufology is a science or has the earmarks of science.

    That's all...

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Bruce:

    It's more than ironic....it disingenuous, by physicists.

    The underlying, but transcendent, ineffable quality of physical laws, as determined by the theology of math, is as much Faith as any religious belief.

    The old "philosophies" -- such has scholasticsm (Thomism for one) -- resonate with me.

    Because they dealt with God as God.

    Physics deals with God as a hoped-for singularity.

    It's the phoniness that piques.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Rich,

    The only intellectually honest position about God, as with so many other things (include physics - expecialy physics!), is a healthy but hopeful agnosticism.

    Paul

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Paul:

    I'm in agreement with you.

    I think my Facebook page has me as an agnostic.

    But I can't escape my old seminary ways, and still have a core of belief that haunts my intellectual pursuits.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Rich,

    I still have a core of intellectualism which haunts my beliefs. ;-)

    PK
    http://philosopherpak.blogspot.com/ (pop by and say hello - but no UFO talk!)

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Paul:

    I've seen philosopherpak and recommend it highly to visitors here.

    I had planned a note about it, and will post one here and elsewhere upcoming.

    And no UFO talk suits me fine.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Is Peter Higgs an atheist? Do you know? I don't know, but you might be surprised.

    By Blogger cda, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • In terms of atheists and believers, I think that as they approach death, particularly as they draw their final breaths, they all become agnostics - the believers because they have a nagging doubt that they were wrong, and the atheists because they have a nagging hope that they were wrong. The only ones truly comfortable, I think, are the agnostics, who have spent an entire life saying< "I have no idea", and therefore are curious to see what actually happens.

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Well CDA, I do know that Higgs hates it that his particle is called the God's particle.

    That tells me something...

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • As my Dad always said, there isn't anything you can do about it, so there's no real point worrying about it... which was his way of saying that we need to spend more time living, and less time concerned with what may or may not come afterwards. Little did he know that I would apply that philosophy to my debt load. ;-)

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Paul:

    I'm thinking that as one faces death or on their proverbial death-bed, they think of other things besides God's reality (or not).

    During a protracted death, I guess that the thoughts of what one believed about God crosses one's mind, but it's water under the bridge, isn't it?

    God is either merciful -- I doubt it -- or insane -- or not there at all, aloof and distant, or dead.

    Who really knows or cares?

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • I have had two very close encounters with death. One was being very nearly frozen to death on a mountain pass with some serious frostbite throughout my leg and the other, a completely blocked coronary artery.
    My experience is at that point where you are on the border, you surrender everything you can imagine in terms of clinging.Intellectual arguments or debates do not appear. I know this sounds perverse to some but I would be insincere if I did not say that there was a peace in this sense of being at the point of physical death. Life here becomes faint, unrecognizable except as a noisy buzz, like being under water. Time is expanded to the nth degree, as far I suppose, as it can be stretched.

    By Blogger Bruce Duensing, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Bruce:

    When I had a stroke in 2005, I went into a peaceful glaze.

    I didn't think about God or if I had been okay with Him/It.

    I didn't ruminate about things philosophical or intellectual, and felt a peace like that you which you note.

    I actually looked forward to the hospital food and some TV shows I didn't want to miss.

    Death didn't seem all that bad, at the time....nor does it now.

    Your experiences were more dramatic and significant, but in my own small way, I had similar feelings about passing on....

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • "Everything happens for a reason."

    -One of the things people say when some idiot does something stupid and it has a negative effect on them.

    By Blogger Frank Stalter, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • I hate that too, Frank, but it is a true statement, nonetheless, is it not?

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • The universe is filled with random catastrophe. You have to defend yourself as best you can at all times. The "reason" might be you let your guard down. "Why do good things happen to bad people?" That's another cliche that makes me laugh a bit, unless I know the good person, then I'm sad.

    Enjoying your work as always, Richie. Things that have gotten my attention recently include biocentrism, Dunbar's number and game theory. Most of it is over my head, which is OK because it isn't water.

    By Blogger Frank Stalter, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

  • Frank:

    Game theory has always interested me, and I may have a post about it, regarding UFOs, upcoming.

    Biocentrism, not so much, but I'll check it out.

    And everything is over our heads, and even over heads as grand as Michio Kaku's.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, July 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home