UFO Conjecture(s)

Monday, June 17, 2013

Richard Hall and me

rhall.jpg

When I re-entered the UFO fray in the early 2000s, after laboring with small groups previous to that, I created a small commotion at UFO UpDates, about mid-decade.

My dotty ideas were more anathema there than anywhere else.

Jerry Clark, Wendy Connors, a guy who shall remain unnamed (who was jealous of the attention I took from his blow-hard dissertations). Don Ledger, and others fumed at my erratic and bizarre suggestions.

Although I did get encomiums for bringing up the fact that David Rudiak, a doctor of Optometry or Ophthalmology, never dealt with Lonnie Zamora’s visual acuity and especially the fact that Officer Zamora dropped his glasses during the departure of the craft he saw in 1964.

That Officer Zamora’s testimony was beleaguered by his dropped glasses and attached sun-glasses was never addressed, until I mentioned it.

There were lots of UpDate mis-representations.

When I suggested that The List (as visitors there like to be called) access a NASA archive I provided the URL to for an extensive catalog of balloon flights by the military from the 1940s onward – to see what balloons (not Mogul) were in the air over Roswell in 1947 and Socorro in 1964 – The List went berserk.

I was asked to provide the balloon launches for The List. After all I was suggesting something about Roswell and Socorro that didn’t sit well with the ET advocates which dominated UpDates in the middle of the 2000 decade.

Richard Hall sent me a note saying, “You can bring a horse to water, but you can’t…”

He and I had had a previous e-mail dialogue about my 1950s NICAP membership.

I had shown him two signatures that okayed my membership. I asked him if they were authentic Keyhoe signatures. One was. The other, Mr. Hall told me, was created by Donald Keyhoe’s secretary.

We maintained a back-and-forth, which got even stronger after Errol Bruce-Knapp inadvertently, he said, let a missive from Wendy Connors about me show up on the UpDate roster one day.

Connors reported, errantly I can tell you, that I was King of the Fairies in Fort Wayne, Indiana….a homophobic slur that wasn’t true, although the idea of being a king of something was gratifying in a way.

Bruce-Knapp was apologetic as hell, but Richard Hall was livid, writing that I should sue UpDates, Connors, and Bruce-Knapp.

The gay thing was not new. I was and am sympathetic to homosexuals and wrote my thesis on homosexuality and Freudian attributes for college.

Richard Hall was even more kind and helpful after that episode.

He didn’t like many on The List. He did like and respect Paul Kimball however, very much so actually.

He had some dire financial problems ass he neared death, and my corporation, InterAmerica, Inc. allowed me to send him some money.

He was effusive with thanks, but died shortly thereafter.

He has a UFO compendium that is second to none: The UFO Evidence.

Yes, he was a curmudgeon. But he was kind to me, and a dear friend.

There are few in the UFO community who have the cachet and integrity of Richard Hall.

I still miss his supportive e-mails and UFO insights.

RR 

14 Comments:

  • I miss him as well. He was a good friend, a diligent and honest researcher, and something of a mentor. I

    PK

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • very interesting post: I never met him, but we exchanged some emails regarding some alleged top secret documents that never surfaced. A gentleman and a great researcher. I have two questions:
    - what thought richard hall about roswell
    - how old are you rich (nicap membership in the fifties???)

    By Blogger ilfakiro, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • Rich, ilfakiro, is a non-wizened old man, whose body and mind belies age.

    I never sought to pursue the topic with Mr. Hall.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • I don't know why, perhaps your writing style gave to me a different idea of your age!

    By Blogger ilfakiro, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • Yes, it does confuse.

    But I, and a few of my colleagues, have been in the UFO mix long enough to qualify for a revered status.

    Part of my point with this post was to show that there's some background for my irritating (to some) conjectures.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • yes, I see. but to be irritating to some can be positive in the "ufo mix"

    By Blogger ilfakiro, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • When I interviewed Dick several years ago, I asked him About Roswell, and his views generally mirrored Rich's - yes, something happened; no, it wasn't Mogul; yes, it may have been ET... or it may not have been ET; and yes, the "civilian investigators" of the case had mucked it up, possibly beyond repair, through a combination of incompetence and blind belief.

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Monday, June 17, 2013  

  • hi Paul, thanks for your post!

    By Blogger ilfakiro, at Tuesday, June 18, 2013  

  • Dick Hall was a pretty solid ETH-er, I believe, as well as a mild conspiracy believer.

    Regarding RR's age, didn't NICAP have a thriving junior (under-16 or 14) membership at one time?

    On the other side of the coin, I once read that dear old George Bernard Shaw first became a member of the British Interplanetary Society at the 'youthful' age of 90!
    Perhaps he hoped to go into space.

    By Blogger cda, at Tuesday, June 18, 2013  

  • CDA:

    I think there was a NICAP teen contingent, but I was 17 at the time, if I recall correctly.

    I started a Flying Saucer Club at my High School, which gave graduation credits (3) to members.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, June 18, 2013  

  • " He had some dire financial problems ass he neared death, and my corporation, InterAmerica, Inc. allowed me to send him some money." - - -

    You're a good egg, Rich! :-)

    ~ Susan

    By Blogger brownie, at Tuesday, June 18, 2013  

  • Many others also contributed to his need Susan, some very much more than I did.

    Mr. Hall, as cantankerous as he was, was beloved by almost everyone in the UFO community who know a good soul when they see one.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, June 18, 2013  

  • I was chatting with Lance Moody this evening, during which conversation I was reminded of my favourite Dick Hall quote, said to me as we were getting ready to record his interview for Best Evidence in 2006. I was asking him what he thought of various UFO personalities, and knew that he had some history with Ray Stanford (particularly when it came to Socorro, one of your pet cases Rich), so I brought up Stanford's name. Dick just rolled his eyes and said, "Drive all the way to crazy, turn left, keep going, and eventually you'll get to Stanford."

    PK

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Wednesday, June 19, 2013  

  • ...and Dick's brother, Bob Hall, Professor of Sociology, was a graduate advisor to the current director of CUFOS.

    what a small world we live in!

    By Blogger Kurt Peters, at Wednesday, June 19, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home