UFO Conjecture(s)

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Eric Wargo’s TheNightshirt.com

If you access Eric Wargo’s site (noted above), you’ll be immersed in material that is edifying but often abstruse.

Eric’s musings remind me of Bruce Duensing’s cogitative blog(s), and Eric refers to Bruce a few times in his (Eric’s) current posting about pSi and related topics.

Bruce, a rather close friend of mine, suffered from Asperger’s disease.

During the last few months of his life, he and I discussed his “madness,” me telling him he had a controlled kind of schizophrenia.

(Bruce experienced a disturbing vision, caught on film, a short while ago, of a Jungian archetype: The Wise Old Man.

(I thought the image caught on camera was Bruce’s son, who died a few years ago; his death affecting Bruce to the depths of his soul. But, after sending the photo to Bruce Maccabee for his evaluation, Bruce Duensing and I agreed it was not his son in the photo.)

Eric Wargo sees value in Jacques Vallee’s associative commentary about UFOs, computer algorithms, synchronicity, et cetera.

I’ve always thought, since my days visiting the mentally ill at Wayne County General Hospital (Eloise), Michigan as part of my psychology requirements, that the psychotics and schizophrenics were not beleaguered by neurological maladies (called madness at the time) but were actually receiving input from somewhere, and from something.

I’ve addressed this a few times here and at our other blogs.

Jose Caravaca thinks such input comes from an “external agent” which hasn’t been clarified exactly but can fall into that amalgam of psychic sources Eric delineates.

However, that Eric and Bruce (rest his soul) think UFOs are part of a psychical realm, brilliantly as that is argued by Eric and densely suggested by Mr. Duensing, doesn’t sit well with me.

There is, if UFO/flying saucer reports have a scintilla of accuracy, a tangibility to UFOs.

Bruce Duensing, citing Persinger, allowed that electromagnetism could produce tangibility.

Persinger’s views are eschewed by scientists generally, and I always thought Bruce’s affection for Persinger was oddly obsessional.

(Bruce had synchonicity occurrences like those cited in Eric Wargo’s current posting and posited such occurrences to the psychic milieu addressed by Gurdjieff, another favorite of Bruce’s.)

This was the “madness” that Bruce Duensing lived with, and he hated that I ascribed his experiences to “madness,” taking that as a personal assault when, in fact, I meant it as an element of the information that schizophrenics received from who or what.

At any rate, some UFOs represent psychic manifestations or electromagnetic signals or hallucinatory visions, but just some.

Other UFOs represent a phenomenon that is tangible and real, as real as anything we experience consciously, but that opens the door to another matter: the reality of consciousness, which I can’t deal with at the moment, still trying to digest Eric Wargo’s erudite suggestions at his site.



  • Bruce, thanks for your too-kind words about my blog (as always).

    Actually I personally do NOT think UFOs are limited to the psychic realm. I put that out there in my post, because it's a very important argument, and Bruce was a very forceful advocate of that position. We need to carefully consider that angle. But I agree with you: There is something tangible behind it all. Thus I am more in the camp that encounters are interactions with an intelligence/technology that affects our brains/minds, including our sense of time and thus our psi abilities, and thus creates a very confusing symbolic/synchronistic soup, making an encounter virtually impossible to sort out and interpret. No one has made progress in the problem beyond Vallee's work in the 1970s--even Vallee, as far as I can tell.

    I also totally agree with you about schizophrenia. People with that condition are accessing information, but they have no way to control that access or put the information in useful context. I think that's true though (to a lesser degree) of all of us: We're swimming in a psychic sea, but we (at this point) have no understanding of the information so we treat it as noise and suppress it. Maybe that will change as we better understand these phenomena. Who knows.

    Thanks for the insights on Bruce--I've only just gleaned bits and pieces of his bio here and there. Our community really lost something valuable.


    By Blogger Eric Wargo, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • See, Eric addresses his comment to Bruce, not me.

    That indicates Bruce may still be among us....or Eric didn't have his morning coffee.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • :-)

    That would be afternoon coffee, in my time zone.

    I guess what I'm hinting, Rich, is that it is up to you to channel Bruce for us, in his absence...

    By Blogger Eric Wargo, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • Interestingly, Eric, I experienced some anomalous activity shortly after Bruce's passing that I might attribute to his spirit, on its way to....wherever.

    (Bruce was irritated with me for accusing him of a little madness right before his ending. He thought his muddle was caused by that damnable Roswell slide business. I thought it more intrinsic.)


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • It's really interesting you say that. Based on what little I knew of his own anomalous experiences in recent months, I actually had the vague late-night thought/fantasy, on the day I learned of his passing, that you or somebody who knew him better might have had some visitation experience, or UFO sighting, on that day.

    Care to give any details of that anomalous activity?

    (It's horrible to think that any soul should be driven to madness or even a muddle by those f***ing slides.)

    By Blogger Eric Wargo, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • Eric:

    A book that had gone missing a few months back, but found recently and discussed with Bruce fell off a pile of books in my bedroom, with no reason for it to do so.

    (We also had a weird rainstorm that took down three very large trees in our yard, missing the house and some new trees but uprooted and just now being chopped and removed by contractors. I knew Bruce was irritated with my madness asides about him but I didn't realize how angry he really was.)

    And my main computer went goofy off and on, stable at the moment.

    Coincidences? Probably. Or Bruce saying goodbye. (We were somewhat close.)


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • Sounds like a goodbye to me, Rich.

    Thanks for sharing that.


    By Blogger Eric Wargo, at Wednesday, July 08, 2015  

  • I enjoyed reading your article but wish to point out that Asperger's is not a disease, it is a form of autism, and cannot be termed madness or Schizophrenia. Our brains merely perceive input differently to people not on the spectrum.

    By Blogger Fleur Nocturne, at Thursday, July 09, 2015  

  • Yeah recommend Eric's blog, especially for those interested in ufology from a shamanic/paranormal/collective unconscious angle (as I am). A lot there I have to catch up on.

    Rich, it's not fair to call Asperger's a disease, it's defined as a disorder, and even that isn't really fair. Yes it has an (mild) autistic element to it, sure, but even so... It's more an unusual personality type. In fact Simon Baron-Cohen (cousin of the famous British comedian Sasha Baron-Cohen), a leading expert on Asperger's, does not consider it to be a disorder in the usual sense of the term. Many of our greatest scientists, historians, academics, computer geniuses, mathematicians, writers, artists, musicians have or had Asperger's. And their collective genius is not removed from their Asperger's. Or to put it another way, it's not despite the Asperger's that they have given us so much, it's because of it. Their Asperger's is inseparable from their genius. And Bruce himself would not have been able to write what he did and think what he did without his Asperger's. Maybe that comes across as presumptuous, but I stand by it. The world is filled with superficial zombified people pointlessly blabbing on about nothing that matters, as the facebook, Twitter and dumbphone generation attests to. Aspergers folk may gab a lot and ignore social cues, but maybe we should listen to what a lot of them are saying. No not all of them, but you know what I mean. The ones worth listening to.

    Just a remark on Bruce's son: he died suddenly when he was 21, and had premonitions of his own death for years, despite being as far as I know a healthy youngster. Yeah obviously a terrible tragedy and I wouldn't have ever brought it up when Bruce was still with us, but clearly that tragic death affected Bruce's philosophy; and as such his own attitude to the whimsical Cheshire Cat shadow world of ufology and Forteana, that hints at something we can never quite grasp, something that stare us in the face that we never quite see. Hmm now I'm starting to sound like Bruce, but that would be a good thing!

    By Blogger Lawrence, at Thursday, July 09, 2015  

  • Thanks, Lawrence.

    I used the "disease" epithet for Aspergers from its old use that I worked with years ago.

    Bruce was intensely affected by his son's death, as you know. It affected his world-view, as you note.

    Bruce suffered from many ailments but still was generous with advice for others who had illnesses. (He even offered me a stay at his home and access to his doctor for a back ailment I've had for a while.)

    He is missed and his thick prose which was fraught with insights that most of us didn't understand.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Thursday, July 09, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home