UFO Conjecture(s)

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

A poster that tells us what?

My academic buddy Bryant Sentes send me this pic of a poster that I find interesting:
I tried to find an exact date for the poster -- listed as 1950s-60s where Bryan found it -- as it might tell us what era the mind-set indicates: was it shortly after (or before?) Roswell (1947) or a bit after the Mantell incident?

The use of UFO rather than flying saucer tells us (maybe) that it is from the 1950s.

Does anyone have a clue?



  • Earliest date is 1952. Ruppelt coined the term 'UFO' at about that time.
    But what is meant by "local bureau"? Bureau for what?

    By Blogger cda, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • Yes, the UFO terms is post 1951,...but are we sure?

    Local bureau also baffles.

    Bryan found this at a movie site, so is it from a film and not a public poster at all?

    When I used Google Image search, I found the sale site, but it wanted to install Java for further inquiry. I passed.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • It is a poster for promoting war bonds. But which war? It can't be WW2 so I assume it was the Korean War, i.e. 1950-53. That fits the use of the term 'UFO' quite well, although I suppose it may refer to the Vietnam War 15 - 20 years later.

    By Blogger cda, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • It's an odd message....who was trying to convince the public that UFOs were nothing more than balloons and why?

    And as a plea for bonds, it's even stranger.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • It took me three minutes of googling to find that it was created by user Studio316 at DeviantArt. That's an website for artists to display their wares, it's not a real historical poster in any way, shape, or form. Mystery solved.

    By Blogger Scott Hamilton, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • Thank you Scott.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, December 01, 2015  

  • RR,

    You might want to check out the website https://images.google.com -- I am fairly certain that's what Scott used. It's very useful to track down images -- even if they've been resized.

    By Blogger Parakletos, at Wednesday, December 02, 2015  

  • P...

    I used that site and found the poster, but as I told CDA, the site wanted to install JAVA for me to continue, and I passed.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, December 02, 2015  

  • Yeah, it's obviously just a goof, Rich. We grew up with such stuff in MAD and the National Lampoon and it's been all over the Internet since it became graphical.

    Remember the Japanese "Home Nuclear Generator" ad? Hilarious!

    Notably we have the work of Oleg Atbashian at the People's Cube and many other talented satirical "propaganda" artist. Yep, "Studio 316" claims he made this poster. Good Work!

    "Social Realism" is the popular art style it exploits. Funny for sure but the real thing is much much more interesting.

    I've been watching "The Shock of the New" again after 35 years! Robert Hughes was quite a character.

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Friday, December 04, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home