UFO Conjecture(s)

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Transhumanism [The Singularity] and Teihard de Chardin

My academic Facebook friend, Bryan Sentes [poet and teacher at Dawson College in Montreal], sent me this link, about the great Catholic theologian/philosopher/priest -- an idol of mine -- and his view of where humankind was headed....toward the Singularity (Transhumanism, the AI encrusted state of being to come, which absorbed the late and highly respected Mac Tonnies):




  • Rich, good read. My thanks to Bryan.

    As a Catholic growing up among Evangelical fundamentalist in high school and college, I too saw the "value" of evolution from a potential theological standpoint...much to the horror of my fundamentalist friends who feared and prayed for my godless soul.

    Question: Does evolution provide more of peek at distant past progression versus a predictor of future progression?

    For me, I find evolution to be a poor prognosticator based on quite a few unknown variables that may stand in the way.

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Wednesday, March 09, 2016  

  • Tim:

    The books of Ray Kurzweil and Nick Bostrom, which you can find at Amazon.com, offer where the technological AI Singularity is going and how it has evolved....particularly Kurzweil's book I noted in a post previously here.

    The Darwinian-like evolution of the Singularity....humans transcending to the Omega Point.....is addressed eruditely by a book I keep recommending: Human Destiny by Lecomte du Nouy.

    You are familiar, I think, with Teilhard's The Divine Milieu and The Phenomenon of Man which address your question: "Does evolution provide more of peek at distant past progression versus a predictor of future progression?"

    The technological evolution of AI and machines is so palpable that one would be remiss not to see it.....without a lot of reading or help by me or others, more astute about the matter than I am surely.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, March 09, 2016  

  • Rich, I fully understand where you are coming from, however my reply was based purely on a personal "discovery" some decades ago as a young man as I was attempting to formulate these new thoughts into a coherent framework towards looking at the world in a different light.

    What Teilhard and others show is that most of us...you, me and others, rarely formulate original thought as these ideas were formulated and mulled about centuries ago.

    That the technological evolution of AI is palpable as you state, it still remains to be seen what the end results will be.

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Thursday, March 10, 2016  

  • Well I won't be around to see the outcome, Tim, but I suspect you might be.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Thursday, March 10, 2016  

  • RR,

    I'm an old guy and I think some of the 'outcome' will present itself sooner than most think. I expect to see some, God willing an the river don't rise.


    By Blogger Bryan Daum, at Sunday, March 13, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home