UFO Conjecture(s)

Saturday, June 04, 2016

What’s your Moby Dick? UFOs? Roswell? God? Fame? Fortune?

Skeptic Michael Shermer, in Science Friction: Where the Know Meets the Unknown [Times Books/Henry Holt and Company, NY, 2005, Page 148] provides this about Moby Dick:

“Herman Melville seems to be telling us, through Captain Ahab’s obsessive quest for ‘that accursed white whale’ … that we must unmask the demon and penetrate the outer layers, no matter how obfuscating, with every tool available.”

And this by Shermer from Moby Dick:

All available objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event – in the living act, the undoubted deed – there, some unknown but still reasoning things puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there’s naught beyond. But ‘tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him.” [Ahab, via Herman Melville]

Each of us has a Moby Dick that tasks us: Kevin Randle and David Rudiak have Roswell; many of you have UFOs. I have God – which I’ve searched after since my seminary days, which were interrupted by an unintended marriage at age 17. And you know those who, in our UFO circle(s), seek fame and/or fortune. (Need I name them?)

Kevin Randle’s blog is purposed to resolving Roswell and some significant UFO episodes. Tim Hebert’s blog is aimed at his white whale(s) – UFOs. Eric Wargo’s blog is tasked with the quirks of the paranormal as it impacts the future, the past, and consciousness. Jose Antonio Caravaca is heaped by his distortion theory. And you know of others who are obsessed with some aspect of ufology, to the point of an almost insanity, like Ahab was.

So, we all are trying to unmask the demon, to harpoon and kill our white whales.

That’s the purpose of this blog, and I keep hoping that some of you will help me and others to penetrate the outer layers and wreak that hate upon our Moby Dicks.

RR

7 Comments:

  • And this my friend is a post that may uncovered the sad state of affairs with me.

    Lost was the book that once was in the process of being written (by me) on the the impact of military leadership due to psychological (and psychiatric) issues during the American Civil War. One of my attendings was very interested in this work. Perhaps I'll pick it up later, but for this to occur, I would have to divorce myself completely from UFOs and banish my self to total solitude.

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • Tim:

    Daedalus Books, Tim, has a four volume set ($9.98 each) of all the materials gathered by the government during the Civil War, the Official Records (The Union and The Confederacy)..., Daedalus numbers 51831, 51833, 51834, 58175.

    You can find them online at Daedalus,

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • It is very many years since I read Moby Dick. In it is a word I assumed Melville invented himself, but apparently this is not so.

    The word is 'gam'.

    It means either a meeting of two or more whales or two whaling ships. Have you ever heard of this word, as I expect you do not remember it from the book? Funny how these bits of trivia can stay in one's memory. Yes it is in the dictionary.

    By Blogger cda, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • Thanks Rich,

    I've access, or had, the official records of "The War of the Rebellion." But, I'll look at what you've provided. I've numerous biographies of the principals involved. This all started when I was a young Air Force Captain attending Squadron Officer School and dabbled with Marine Air Command and Staff School back in the mid to late 1980s. I recall that I wrote a paper on the leadership attributes and strategies employed by Scipio Africanus with his struggles against Hannibal.

    The civil war aspect came about with studying combat unit formations and how such units (on both sides) evolved during the entire conflict. Plus later theories that Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson may have had Asperger...other leaders' brilliance and short comings lead to me formulating hypothesis regarding pathological pressures effecting command decisions...which I found plenty of evidence to support my potential work making it a viable venture.

    Perhaps I should eventually move back into that area...a comfort zone.

    Apologies for the off topic musings...

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • Gam shows up in my Random House dictionary as leg, particularly female leg.

    But my Oxford says it's a school of whales.

    That Melville, CDA, was one smart cookie....(and the white whale represents God, as you know).

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • Not off topic Tim...

    The Civil War is many a folks' white whale.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, June 05, 2016  

  • Yes we all have them. My problem is I have too many....

    By Blogger Brian Bell, at Monday, June 06, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home