UFO Conjecture(s)

Friday, September 23, 2016

Three Books: Ray Palmer, UFOs and Hollywood, and Cave Art (a neuroscientific view)

I just got this 2013 book from Daedalus Books and will present some of the material upcoming.

Palmer, as most of you know, was a showman and entertaining con-man (or con-artist).

Much of the early flying saucer mythos derives from his efforts to promote himself and his enterprises.

I find him intriguing and an archetypal figure representing many in the past and current UFO community (or ufology if you wish).
But first, I'm enchanted by Robbie Graham's deliciously satisfying rendition of the flying saucer/UFO history and how Hollywood has presented the phenomenon or been affected by it.

Robbie's book makes a great introduction to the saga of flying saucers and/or UFOs.

The opening pages put Zoam Chomsky's erratic but vibrant anti-UFO spiels in their place. (No, Robbie doesn't mention Zoam but provides a view that eradicates Zoam's insistence that UFOs do not exist and have never existed.)

Robbie leans toward an ET explanation for the phenomenon, with which I disagree, but his view is not only reasonable but erudite, as I noticed earlier.

I'll be presenting gems from this splendid book sporadically here; it's a superb read.

Then I got this 2009 book, also from Daedalus:
The Creative Ice Age Brain: Cave Art in the Light of Neuroscience by Barbara Olins Alpert.

Books about primitive (cave art) disrupts the foolishness of the Ancient Astronaut crowd by positing that early humans came to their senses without the intervention of extraterrestrial beings.

I'll provide some commentary on this upcoming, too.

(I only wish that readers here would co-operate and add to my ramblings with incendiary but intellectual comments that edify me and others.)

Now order Robbie Graham's book and maybe the Palmer item. You won't be disappointed by either and will certainly enjoy Robbie's effort.

RR

5 Comments:

  • "Robbie leans toward an ET explanation for the phenomenon" and "The opening pages put Zoam Chomsky's erratic but vibrant anti-UFO spiels in their place."

    So Robbie's not a skeptic. He's another hapless victim of the myth. And is an ETH fence-sitter? Poor fellow.

    "Erratic?" Hardly.

    "(No, Robbie doesn't mention Zoam but provides a view that eradicates Zoam's insistence that UFOs do not exist and have never existed.)"

    Short of producing a REAL "UFO," which is pretty unlikely in a book, I doubt very much that Robbie "eradicates" the PSH or falsifies the Null hypothesis.

    And what could be Robbie's argument but another regurgitation of the standard claims of the "UFO" myth?

    The ice-age art book looks good.

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Saturday, September 24, 2016  

  • The ice-age book is a real gem......(I'll pass on some of the material, via excerpts. in a day or so.)

    Robbie's "evidence" for UFOs comes from others, which you eschew Zoam, but those others are gee-whiz people.

    And it's the sobriquet -- UFO -- that you detest, linquistically? No? Not the idea that some odd things have appeared to humans, in the sky and on the ground, yes?

    (As you reject the UFO epithet, I disavow "the null hypothesis." It's a concocted crock that bemuses me.)

    But you are loved by me, there's that...

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, September 24, 2016  

  • Since we are talking books, let me save readers of this blog some time and money. Just finished Ben Mezrich's "The 37th Parallel" which claims to provide "the secret truth" behind America's UFO Highway. 259 breezy and golly/gosh pages later and I still have not discovered any secret truth. Yes there have been thousands of cattle mutilations (CM)and yes, very occasionally, strange lights are seen in the vicinity. But we sort of knew that already, yes? And yes some CMs seem to fall along the 37th parallel in the U.S. But we are never told what percentage of CMs do that. If it's 97% I'm interested; if it's 3% I'm not. This is an incredibly wasted opportunity to provide some real data and insight into an interesting mystery of sorts. Unfortunately it never happens. It will all soon be a movie I'm told. What a shame.

    By Blogger Dominick, at Saturday, September 24, 2016  

  • I didn't buy the 37th Parallel book, Dominick...

    I hate cattle mutilation stories, and the UFO buff touted in the book, the fired sheriff deputy, didn't pique my interest either.

    But the author got lots of play on TV (CBS, CNBC (as I noted), and other venues.

    I, too, think he wasted his talent(s).

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, September 24, 2016  

  • I heard Mezrich on radio, he's just a writer with no particular ufxxlogical or even sociological expertise. He just writes sensationalist exposé books to order for a publisher with movie deals in mind. This one gets really bad reviews on Amazon.

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Sunday, September 25, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home