UFO Conjecture(s)

Thursday, October 06, 2016

The demise of [UFO] blogging and internet “writing”

I did a piece for my Facebook MediaWatch page about the decline of television among today’s younger generation. (Some TV broadcasters are using “televideo” to describe their operations, eschewing “television” as the sobriquet for what they do.)

But, here, we’re dealing with reading online, blogging particularly, which is a kind of e-book short story or online newspaper clipping for some of us.

(A few “bloggers” use the form like a web-page, Kevin Randle for instance, with the ease of comments that web-pages make difficult.)

Blogs were set-up to be a kind of daily diary or musings for one’s friends and adopted followers.

I try to post daily here, but that flummoxes UFO buffs, who are an older lot, generally, that find it difficult to cope with a changing input, they, slavishly, beholden to a slower reading regimen.

Podcasts are popular among the young and videos are the prime medium that enthuses that segment of society.

Some former UFO notables have succumbed to the superficial “likes” at Facebook, trading their once thoughtful musings for mumblings that invite meaningless responses that are as evanescent as a snow flurry.

Fortunately, blogs and web-page input end up in an internet “cemetery” from which they can be exhumed for anyone interested in past ruminations.

(I often get comments for old postings, some as far back as 2006, from persons who haven’t caught up with today.)

Facebook comments and “likes” disappear shortly after they appear, along with the often dreary and self-serving ego postings that engulf the Facebook universe.

But, that aside, blogging is on its way out also, millennials too busy looking for instant gratifications of a sexier, current kind to assuage their flippant life-styles.



  • If you had posted this on Facebook, I'd be somewhat compelled to "like" it.

    True the younger generation has no patience, dare I say critical thinking skills, to go into the direction which you lament. The more complicated UFO stories get, the less inclined that the younger generation gets.

    If we take my blog site as an example, I only merit interest from those who have something invested...professionally and/or emotionally. But this is tempered with the knowledge that mt site is a niche site with seemingly boring cases...who gives a rat's furry ass about UFOs allegedly screwing around nuclear weapons sites?

    The world is more vulnerable to a pimply faced high schooler or foreign government knocking out our electric and financial grids with the mere stroke of a keyboard.

    BTW...where are the UFO reports of mysterious flying objects hovering over our financial districts? Or, hovering over some unsuspected teenager's garage in suburbia?

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Thursday, October 06, 2016  

  • This. 100%. I seldom post on my blog anymore (stopping short of dismantling it altogether) because, in short, few visit blogs these days. Why say something profound when no one wants to take the time for thoughtful reading? I suppose soon I shall make a website. I liked the blog format though. Websites look good but they're cumbersome and time consuming.

    By Blogger Cullan Hudson, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • Cullan...

    I feel pretty much as you do.

    I have a few web-sites (some for news media, one for UFOs, and a "conjecture" site) and they are cumbersome.

    The media folks who follow my local MediaWatch musings prefer contact via Facebook (or Twitter), and some actually read long postings on Facebook, but there are limitations: graphics mostly.

    And the comments or responses are simple and/or gratuitous.

    While I seem to have about 1300 hits (or visits) each day at this blog, the comments are niggardly or sparse. I can't even provoke responses with insults.

    I think the postings are read, but few take the time to cogitate and comment.

    Blogging is ignored by the younger set, who hate to read anything beyond LOL and "Where are U?" It's almost sad.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • Hi there RR,

    I "hear your words and feel your pain" as one who reads your blog daily with my morning coffee. Too often, I suppose, I defer commenting but you can believe I've read it and thought about it. A Facebook resister, I deplore 'Likes' and, ugh, the "ditto heads" supporters of one unnamed commentator.

    It is through your/our/otheres discussions that I've come to a point of resolution of my thoughts on the topic to include consideration of just what I saw in my one event of so many years ago that brought me here.

    Commonly I tend to agree with you although I'll except that your notion of yours that we are not worthy of investigation by others. Each time I read that I want to repeat myself in objection (although you have on your take -but it is your blog) that we are 'top dog' and the center of the universe until we make first contact. I suggest that that as we seek others so too would they if any commonality and recognition of a kindred intelligence is to prevail.

    Carrying on a bit, I believe that Ufology is indeed in a great transition as we have found no possibility of Martians or Venusians and the balance of the solar system is frozen rocks, gas, and the like. It leaves us to remain alone pending superluminal speed or something akin to dimensional travel when the closest other systems are so many light years away.

    Finally, having said all that, UAPs are still a curiosity, and I'm hanging in there...

    (whitespace deleted)

    By Blogger Bryan Daum, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • Grazie Bryan...

    I'm with you and your feelings.

    (And I love the missing white space.)


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • Hi. Revisiting old bookmarks again today. I've stopped looking at anything UFO related on any kind of regular basis, so don't take it all that personally that I show up once in a blue moon. It's just that UFOs and Ufology now hold far less interest for me.

    Your post is very interesting. I've also noticed that blogging appears to be a dying art. Blogs I regularly visit (which have nothing to do with UFOs) have become sparser and sparser in terms of content, or totally moribund. In the latter case, the blogger hasn't even bothered to say sayonara, just walked away from the blog.

    I believe the devices on which we now rely have a lot to do with how we prefer to process online content. Smartphones are much friendlier to the short bursts of text (and plethora of bad photos/bad 1-minute videos) offered up by social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.

    A longer piece displayed on a phone is more difficult to read. It's also more difficult to use a phone to type out an intelligent, reasoned, well thought-out comment in response to anything. It's much easier to use a commonly known anagram (LOL, BFF, etc) or use an emoji (my least favorite thing to receive--arrrgh!).

    Most now rely on their phones as boredom relievers while standing in supermarket lines, waiting for the dentist or the bus, picking up the kids at school, etc. This leads to choosing sites that either entertain or require only minimal time and attention to absorb content (social media and games). More substantial sites, such as online news media, have been forced to tailor their content to this new preference.

    Smartphone convenience has become ingrained habit so that even if we're using another device, a laptop or desktop for example, we still automatically go to those "instant gratification" sites we've grown accustomed to visiting on our phones while waiting for traffic to start moving again after a bad accident.

    I don't think the younger generation is innately shallower (many of them are bright and thoughtful) or has an inborn shorter attention span than previous generations (although we all have a bit of that when we're younger). Rather they've been conditioned by the relentless onslaught of technology that has been so aggressively marketed specifically to them by the Big Tech sector (which I believe is just as dangerous to life on the planet as Big Oil).

    Meanwhile, for those of us who truly enjoy reading, the technology revolution has been an unmitigated disaster. But that's another subject for another day.

    By Blogger purrlgurrl, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • If you want to reach millennials the best way might be to dumb things down to multiple daily tweets combined with Instagram support. But then again, millennials have no serious interest in UFO's.

    By Blogger Brian Bell, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • I have a plethora of millennials as "friends" at my FB MediaWatch page, most in media as reporters (TV et cetera), techies, or radio personnel and I love them, but they are dumb as rocks, and have little interest in anything but seeking attention (for themselves, nothing else).

    They love to flaunt their looks, their restaurant visits, and lovers.


    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Friday, October 07, 2016  

  • I can't generalise about the cause-and-effect relationship of users/platforms as I tend to go about things differently than even my like-minded friends. (I hate Facebook, love Twitter, don't have a TV, don't use a cell phone, own about 1000 non-fiction books.)

    But I will make a comment about content. Last year, ufology had the absurd Roswell slides scam and UFO blogs were very alive with reporting, investigating and debating the matter. This year, the slow-motion Trump trainwreck is drawing the eyeballs of the entire world (even up here in Canada). UFO news and musings just can't compete (though Stan Romanek has done his worst).

    By Blogger Terry the Censor, at Wednesday, October 12, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home