UFO Conjecture(s)

Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Watchers: Enoch’s Megalomania

Ancient Astronaut theorists like to tell anyone that Enoch, the Hebrew patriarch, provided, in his non-canonical Biblical-like text, exploits that hint at or tell us something about aliens, named The Watchers, who came to Earth, and factor in the tale of angels who took Enoch into the heavens and told him secrets that benefited the righteous members of mankind.

I’ve always been curious about Enoch’s stories and read references about him in texts about Hebrew personages.

I bought The Book of Enoch, the acclaimed, scholarly translation, from the Ethiopian text by R.H. Charles, 1906.

You can read about The Book of Enoch HERE [Wikipedia].

Book 1 opens with Enoch’s account of The Watchers, who were angels that came to Earth and, finding human women favorable, mated with them, procreating children who were considered “giants” (according to Enoch and AA theory).

I, at first, thought that if The Watchers were like those little gray extraterrestrials that have crept into the ufological psyche, they might see their offspring as giants, as they, The Watchers, would be small in stature, but their children would be “giants” to them, being of normal height, springing forth and growing tall as they aged in their Neanderthalian physiques.

But then, Enoch’s text starts to ramble, with megalomaniacal purpose, and the whole of the text, all five books of The Book, descend into an excess litany of nonsense, supported by insistent references to the unrighteous vs the righteous, and the Glory of the Lord God.

There is one fascinating account, beginning in Chapter 106, of The Book(s). It’s the alleged birth of Noah, he of the flood story.

The son of the aged Methuselah, Lamech, becomes fearful at the birth of his son, Noah, who is born with a body and long locks of hair that are as white as snow, the body also tinged as red as a blooming rose.

Methesulah, who recounts the dread of Lamech, tells Enoch that Noah has eyes like the rays of the sun and his countenance is like that of God’s angels.

Enoch assures Methesulah that Noah is, indeed, Lamech’s son, and not born of an angel [Watcher] but is, special, as the destined salvation of humankind [which is recorded in The Bible as The Flood story].

The Book of Enoch is a bust, unless one is seeking an archetypal example of megalomania.

RR

6 Comments:

  • The Book of Enoch is an interesting series of writings. Mentioned in the New Testament as a resource, yet omitted as being Canonical by the early Church Fathers.

    Let me propose that Enoch is a good example of one of Julian Jaynes' thesis that men of Antiquity wrote under the proposition that man was incapable of shaping his own destiny with out the help of the "gods", or in this case the Watchers.

    Good post!

    Tim H.

    By Blogger Tim Hebert, at Monday, November 14, 2016  

  • Tim:

    Enoch's "writings -- several people apparently -- is an odd mixture of hallucinatory visions and dreams and exhortations by madmen who thought what they had to impart was meaningful to the people being addressed....the righteous and unrighteous.

    The Wikipedia piece makes the who thing more sensible than I could.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, November 14, 2016  

  • I think that people who "find" aliens in ancient writings are a bit silly. Really. One of my interests is the birth of Christianity and Jesus and after reading years of that, I´ve really noticed how hard it can be to understand something written 2000 years ago. So people who see aliens and spaceships in gnostic texts or something...well, it`s kind of funny. (I´m happy I´m not a ETHypotesis kind a person.)But thanks for the idea, maybe I should read The Book of Enoch. And the Dead Seas Scrolls. And all the other apocryphic writings.... (Well, if there´s a one thing that doesn`t get smaller is the list of books I´m planning to read...)

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Tuesday, November 15, 2016  

  • Jerry...

    The accounts by Biblical writers fascinate and either indicate a kind of dementia or access to God (in person).

    That some see "alien" contact in such texts baffles me.

    You might enjoy Enoch's book, but whomever wrote it gets carried away with himself (or themselves) in most of it.

    Yet, there are things of interest, theologically.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, November 15, 2016  

  • Rich,
    "Yet, there are things of interest, theologically."
    That´s what I was thinking about. (Actually I´m not religious person, just interested in culturally.)
    Funny, when searching for "Book of Enoch" my web bookshop has 329 hits (!). Well, if I´m gonna get it I want a new edition with notes and explanations. That´s what I´ve learned, regular reader like me needs them.
    And I hope you write more about that Lee Smolin book (Time Reborn). I read it last year and I thought it was pretty good, it made me think. Although now I should probably read it again to refresh my memory.

    J.C.

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Tuesday, November 15, 2016  

  • Jerry...

    Amazon's review(s) of the Book offered that it is available with the translator's (more than) ample footnotes.

    My copy didn't have them.

    Smolin's book causes me intellectual grief; his brilliance makes my brain hurt. I think I'm understanding him, then I'm not.

    It's a terrific book, as you know, full of asides that take us to places we've never been.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, November 15, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home