UFO Conjecture(s)

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Pain in the Arse!

I have a few readers who visit this blog to complain about its content and me.

I understand, but they would do well to get their own houses in order.

One hates that I put such a stress on book-reading while he thinks that his collection of internet links is sufficient for edification.

I agree that some internet sites, such as Wikipedia, are often terribly helpful, and I just donated some cash to Wikipedia in its plea for user help.

But the prevalent obsession with “fake news” should offer caution for those touting their online gatherings.

I’m well aware that most UFO buffs are ill-read, certainly in the humanities, and devoid of an intellectualized sub-base, as one readily sees with many of the commentators and pundits on UFO-oriented channels (Destination America, Science, History, et cetera).

When someone inserts an internet link to provide support for their belief or idea, I’m quick, as you are, to dispense with their comment. Shrugging past it to read something from a person who has a patina of education and book learning.
[Cartoon, at top, from susanssunnyside.blogspot.com]

RR

11 Comments:

  • Hi Rich

    I hope you don´t mean me (after all, I just posted a link in my comment)... And I think that reading books is a great thing, not just reading internet (but I love Wikipedia).

    JC

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • Not you Jerry....not you at all.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • Rich,

    thanks. You know, I sometimes get paranoid because english isn´t my native language and so on. I think maybe I´ve offended people somehow.

    JC

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • Jerry:

    You're fine here.

    If you weren't, none of your comments would show up.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • Rich

    Thanks.

    JC

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • I luv ya Jerry...

    You're a hoot.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, December 17, 2016  

  • Rich

    "You're a hoot."
    Wow, I had to google this expression, I didn´t know what it meant. But nice, I don´t mind being a bit weird/funny, actually that´s what my friends think I am.

    JC

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Sunday, December 18, 2016  

  • "I’m well aware that most UFO buffs are ill-read, certainly in the humanities..."

    One would assume a person well-read in the humanities would know proper spelling.

    Its = possessive form of it.

    It's = contraction for it is or it has.

    "I have a few readers who visit this blog to complain about it’s content and me."

    By Blogger Ray Palm (Ray X), at Sunday, December 18, 2016  

  • Thank you Ray, but it's [sic] not a spelling problem; it's [sic] a grammatical error, since corrected.

    You make my point however.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, December 19, 2016  

  • http://grammarist.com/spelling/its-its/

    SPELLING

    Its vs. it’s

    Its, without an apostrophe, is the possessive of the pronoun it. It’s, with an apostrophe, is a contraction of it is or it has. If you’re not sure which spelling to use, try replacing it with it is or it has. If neither of those phrases works in its place, then its is the word you’re looking for.

    Most English speakers are comfortable with the difference between its and it’s, yet even the most careful writers mix them up in careless moments. Such errors are typos, not grammar mistakes (there is a difference), and can usually be stamped out with a quick proofread. None of us is immune to these mistakes, so let’s not be too hard on people who make the occasional its/it’s slip-up.

    By Blogger Ray Palm (Ray X), at Monday, December 19, 2016  

  • Ray....

    Let's not, indeed, be too hard on those who slip up with its or it's.

    And let me remind you that the gist of the posting is the very thing we're dealing with here, an item that is noteworthy for its [sic] insignificance.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, December 19, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home